After its initial kick off in April 2022, the MCF Rating system has seen a few changes for improvement. While there were initial challenges regarding calculation and usability, the rating list is now more stable and consistent, with the correct rating formula being put in place. While the rating calculation is almost similar to FIDE, a few changes were made for the system to be more adaptable to the local market.
- The K-factor is based on strength, as opposed to FIDE who uses the K-factor based on age, number of games and playing strength. For MCF Rating, the K factor is as follows: K=40 for players with a MCF Rating of less than 1600, K=30 for those between 1600 and 2000, K=20 for those between 2000 and 2200, K=15 for those between 2200 and 2400, and K=10 for those above 2400
- For the National Rating, you will get your initial rating after playing only a single rated game. For FIDE, you need to play at least 5 rated games in order to get a rating, and must score at least 0.5 points.
- For National Rating, even if you lose your one rated game, you can still get a National Rating provided your rating point does not fall below 1000 points.
- Similar to FIDE, a rating of below 1000 points is considered as Unrated.
- For MCF rating, the ID needs to be renewed every 2 years. So, once this is lapsed, and no renewal is received, the rating will be stagnant and/or return to Unrated.
Once when there are more and more people using the rating system, MCF will create an award program to honor and recognized those who have contributed to the use of the Rating system. Rewards and Awards such as the most active player, the most active organizer, the most improved player, and so on, will be recognized and honored at an annual meet.
To date, the following events have used the MCF Rating system. At the moment, as there is NO FEES FOR ORGANIZERS to use the rating system, we hope that more and more organizer will support the use of the system.
The top players based on both MCF ID and FIDE for Malaysia at the moment (based on active list), are as follows:
Come and help promote the use of MCF Rating system and the MCF ID!